Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Heavy Metal Love



















The above photo was taken from the GW website and gives a teaser of the Heavy Metal Flesh Tearer army.  I got to say, even though this months White Dwarf had tons of cool photos of on the new Grey Knights model range, the Flesh Tearer section is by far the best part of this months magazine.  Even if you don't want to shell out the dough for the magazine just take a look at the showcased army while at a local gaming store.

Anyway, with that aside, I've been playing around with lists while I patiently wait for my Forge World order to arrive.  One thing that has captured my imagination is how can I spruce up my models with the incoming etched brass.  I've decided that if I'm going to put in the effort to add these extra details that I should spend more time on my models; rather, than painting to a 3 colour minimum.  I also think that I want to include my favorite Marine models in my list.  I have everything but the land raider upgrade kit with respect to the following list I have come up with.  I don't think it is a particularly competitive list but will look deadly painted up with Flesh Tearer colours on the table top.

HQ:
Seth
Librarian

Elite:
Sanguinary Priest

Troops:
10 man Assault squad with power sword, 2 melta-guns, land raider crusader
10 man Tac squad with melta-gun, combi-melta, missile launcher, rhino
5 man Assault squad with melta-bombs, melta-gun, HB razorback.
5 man Death Company with thunder hammer
1 Death Company Dreadnought with blood talons.

Fast:
Baal Pred with assault cannon

Heavy:
Autocannon Pred with Lascannon sponsons
Storm Raven with multi-melta, assault cannon, extra-armour.

Total: 1850 even

Seth and the priest will ride in the land raider along with the assault squad.  Not sure if the librarian will ride with them or tag along with the Death Company in the storm raven.  From what I've read the storm raven has the same size doors as on the rhino, so I plan to put the death company doors I've ordered there.  The storm raven will be painted with the death company colours and will transport the death company dread and squad.  The reasoning behind taking the tac squad is simply that I've nearly completed the squad.  I wished I had put together an assault squad instead but the tac squad will do.  The idea is that the tac squad will tag along with the land raider and try and provide some fire support to the assault squad.  The third assault squad I see grabbing objectives and camping.  Though the melta gun and bombs in the squad provide it with some flexibility should I need some more anti tank.  That leaves my two preds which are included namely because I have/like the models and wish to use them.  Plus, fast preds are good preds.  From what I've read land raiders should be run in pairs, and I'm hoping the storm raven will do.

The plan now is to start assembling the land raider and and storm raven so that I can get some games in.  Though lately I've been swamped with work and family life and I've not had any real free time for hobby's.  though I've done a little work cleaning up the forge world dred.  While I love thier models, the flashing and extra chunks of resin that need to be cleaned off them are a real pain.  I don't want to break any part of the model so I'm taking my time.  I've already managed to break my forgeworld avatar and do not want to repeat that with the dred.  As far as modeling the dred goes, I've been fooling around with different poses, trying to get a dynamic look to the model.  I really like the forgeworld arms because they give you more freedom to position the arms than the GW supplied arms.  One change though, I've got my hands on the plastic blood claws and plan to use them rather than the claws that came with the forge world model.  They just look more menacing.  So thats an update of where I'm at with the hobby right now.  Hopefully the etched brass will be arriving soon so I can start pimping out my vehicles.  Have a good one interwebs.

Kaughnor.

No comments:

Post a Comment